Thursday, October 27, 2016

Guerlain Blanc de Perle, Brightening Compact Foundation Review

All weather proof, SPF20 PA++
Available in 3 shades in Singapore
Contains 9 grams/ 0.31 Oz
Price: SGD107
Made in France
 
"What Guerlain says about this product:

Guerlain Blanc de Perle, light-sculpting foundation, combines a beige unifying compact foundation and a white illuminator for a sculpted complexion and a boosted radiance.
Its formula is enhanced with smart «Weather Fit» technology, which adjusts to variations in temperature and humidity, resulting in a perfect pearl-like complexion, all day long and season after season. "



This is a powder foundation with light to medium coverage.  With this powder, you do not need a separate liquid  foundationThis is a 2 in 1 foundation that does the job of a liquid foundation and setting powder.  Hence it is fantastic for busy moms or hectic mornings where you just don't have enough time but still want to have good skin.  

I am using the powder that comes in 3 strips of colors: (1) White with fine shimmers for highlight, (2) skintone shade without shimmer followed by (3) darker shade also without shimmer for shading.  This is being phased out and the new version comes in just the white shade and skintone shade.  Its a shame because i loved the darker shade for applying along my hairline and cheekbones.  I feel lightly contouring and highlighting compliments the features of a face amazingly.  It makes a real difference!!  

The lighter shade can also be mixed in with the skintone shade for a luminous finish.  I loved using the white shade on my eyelids.  It brightens my eye area and the fine shimmers are beautiful!  If you are fairer than NC20, you can probably use the white shade as highlighter. It is quite pigmented so if you are like me, NC25, it looks whitish when applied on the cheekbones and can look alittle strange.

This foundation is longwearing, the finish is very natural, skin like and beautiful.  I have combination skin and it looked amazing on both my dry and oilier areas.  I don't know how it would fair for very oily skin but I would not recommend it for very oily skin.  It doesn't cover all my freckles but it made my skin looked very natural and beautiful.  It is lightly scented with an "old ladyish" fragrance.  This is the only thing i don't like about it because i have sensitive skin, but I can live with it.

The powder is pressed tightly, which is great because that means you won't pick up too much everytime you dip your brush into it.  It also means powder won't get all over the place when dip your brush into it.


For a light coverage or as a setting powder after foundation, I use it with a brush.  I recommend using something close to a dome shaped brush, ie. Wayne Goss brush 11 or Real Techniques Multi Task Brush.  

For more coverage, I would use the sponge that came with it. On closer look, the sponge has tiny hairs on one side - the side that touches your faceThe sponge feels very smooth and soft and I like to hold on to the edges so that sponge becomes rounded. That way, its easier to apply, as i bounce it all over my face.

I also tried using the sponge damp but it created a hard pan. After checking the instructions, there is no mention that this product can be used wet so I won't do that if I were you.

Most of the time I use this foundation alone, but also love using this over a liquid foundation with light to medium coverage. This sets the liquid foundation while increasing the coverage slightly.  But the main reason I do that is because it provides a beautiful finish that looks like skin and not dry or matte. You know how most setting powders can look dry and overly matte on dry skin.  This is a very good option for dry, mature skin.


I am around NC25 for reference and using this in shade 03 Beige Naturel.

The packaging is beautiful and very good quality, as you would expect from the price point of this product. Love the large mirror that opens almost flat, extremely useful.

 This review is on the older version that comes in 3 stripes of colors. The new version comes in 2 stripes of color, shown in the picture at the begining of this page.  I was told they are the same, only difference is they removed the darker shade.


 
PRO:
  • Works for both dry and oily skin (Not sure if it works for very oily skin though)
  • Last all day, even through light workout
  • Beautiful, natural, skin like finish
  • Great for mature skin 
  • Time saver, very quick application with a brush
  • New version contains 2 shades, the lighter shade contains shimmers, can be used as a highlighter alone or mixed in with the skintone shade for a luminous finish
  • Love the white shade as a base for eye shadow, brightens my eye area 
  • Powder is tightly pressed and does not get all over the place
  • Large mirror that opens all the way until its level with the pan

CON:
  • The fragrance is a little "old ladyish" and bad for sensitive skin
  • Emphasize pores alittle, hence not recommended if you have pore issues
  • Very expensive

In my opinion, Guerlain's bronzers and foundations can do no wrong, at least those I own. They are amazing quality and they are my favorite amongst my collection.  I highly recommend this product, especially for mature skin.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment